CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sacred Forest

(Editor's note: This entry written August 1st)

So, we've been in Bangangte for almost two months now and we're just now learning that there's a "sacred forest," which I don't know much about yet, but I'm pretty interested in. I mean I see it every day… I just had no idea it was "sacred." What exactly does that mean? I've heard that's where the animal spirits live. There's a belief that people of the village share a soul (?) or something of this nature with an animal and if the animal is hurt or dies, something ill happens to the person. I'm not completely sure as to the details, but when I find out, I'll let you know. We're visiting the chief of the village on August 10th (I think) and I might just ask him to tell me some stories about the sacred forest.

This week we've been continuing with model school and I've been teaching the terminales and sixiemes. A brief education lesson: In Cameroon, the lycee (or high school) has seven levels. It begins with the sixiemes, and continues on to the terminale class, who takes the Baccalaureate so they can go to the university. If not, they repeat terminale. During model school, I have taught only sixieme and terminale and nothing in between; this is a huge jump in grades. Essentially, I teach beginning English to 9-10 yr olds and then I teach Intermediate English to 18 year olds. Well, actually some of those kids are my age, if not older. In my sixieme class, I've just had to make learning a game so that they stay interested. Otherwise, I have problems with discipline. In my terminale class, I teach argumentative essays and my biggest problem is getting them to form their own opinions. Unfortunately, the education system is designed so that students copy work, memorize work, and take the exam. There's no critical thinking at all. Just marks. That's all that matters. When I asked my students to give me an opinion, I got stuff like, "I think my mother went to the doctor for medicine." And the English was good, but no opinion there. So, I was like, "Well what do you think about it?" Eventually, I got some opinions and after a couple of days, we were writing outlines for argumentative essays. The sixiemes, on the other hand, are learning parts of the body. It's such a transition. But, it's beneficial for me because I've learned that's what I'm going to be teaching when I actually go to post. I'll also have quatriemes for 3 hours a week. I'm not worried. They're somewhere in between, right? My main concern is preparing the terminales for the Bac, which is pretty difficult. I've seen it and it's not very easy. One volunteer told me in his terminale class of 100, only 4 passed. This actually breaks my heart. I want to prepare them for the exam, but this late in their life, how can I teach them to march to the beat of a different drum? It's difficult; more so than I thought, actually.

Swearing-in is only three weeks away. My God, time has flown by. I can't believe I'm leaving this town so soon. I only just go to know my host family. I only just got to know the other trainees. We'll all be splitting up and spreading out across the country. My biggest fear once I get to post in the loneliness I know I'll feel at first. It's actually pretty normal. That first night I fear will be torture. I will be, for the first time in my life, completely alone. Right now, I'm only a trainee, so I don't know exactly what it means to be a volunteer on my own just yet. That will be "Brandi time," when I'll be forced to really get to know myself. I suppose I'll need gloves for all that dirty work.

Yesterday, I received a care package from Elliott. It takes me a month to get them but it feels like Christmas when I do! I got music, and a series, and some snacks! Oh me oh my, was I happy. Someone has to send some books because I'm coming to realize I'll have plenty of time for reading. Seriously. I've already gone through the Chronicles of Narnia and three other books. And I haven't been here for two months. Used books are the best… don't buy new ones. Also, I'm so jealous of you guys who get to read Breaking Dawn when it comes out tomorrow. It's an awful pain I feel in my heart. But I'll be getting it in about a month so no spoilers, please. It'll be torture waiting. Will Bella really become a vampire? The suspense is terrible.

I just want to say I really miss my friends and family. Corey and Amy, I miss you oh so much. Tell me what's going on in your lives. I want to thank my friends at the BN for the photos and the emails. Thanks Nathan, Arlecia, Roz, and Erica! Once again, it feels like Christmas to get so much info. You have no idea how much I already miss my job at BN. Although Peace Corps is great, there was an undeniable comfort working amongst people I felt I could talk to about anything. That's hard to come by here. I miss being able to just get drink and wings and chat all night about difficult customers. Don't take those hot wings for granted, folks. I really miss them. Some of us trainees have had conversations about food back in the states that have lasted an hour or so. We all really miss it. When I get home, I'm going to eat loads of Mexican food. And I'll have to ask my dad to cook my favorites. He knows what I'm talking about.

Tomorrow, we're having an 80s dance party and I'm pretty excited about it. I'll try and take some photos. I'm just excited I get to stay out till 9pm. I'm serious. I have a curfew of 6pm. The Peace Corps curfew is actually 7pm but mine is 6 because that's what my host mom prefers. I tried the whole, "But I'm 23 years old," think but in her eyes, I'm her child, who can't be out in the dark. It's interesting.

Well, that's all. Till next time…

0 comments: